Friday, April 30, 2010

A Christian Perspective on Immigration Reform

Please re-read the title of my post before anyone starts to write angry responses. I specifically wrote the title as "A" Christian perspective on Immigration Reform, not "the" Christian Perspective. I understand and respect that other Christians might feel differently about this issue. I am just sharing how my faith influences my thinking on this issue.



A friend of mine who posted a comment on my last blog post pointed me to this site. I would encourage anyone interested in a Christian perspective on immigration reform to visit it:

http://faithandimmigration.org/

Below is some text from it that I thought was especially meaningful:


Our current immigration system does not reflect our nation’s best values. It is
time to enact humane and practical laws that move beyond the legislative
stalemate of the past few years.

As a Christian, I believe my faith calls me to view all people, regardless of citizenship status, as made in the "image of God" and deserving of respect; to show compassion for the stranger and love and mercy for my neighbor; and to balance the rule of law with the call to oppose unjust laws and systems when they violate human dignity.

These biblical principles compel me to support immigration reform legislation that is
consistent with humanitarian values, supports families, provides a pathway to
citizenship for immigrant workers already in the U.S., expands legal avenues for
workers to enter the U.S. with their rights and due process fully protected, and
examines solutions to address the root causes of migration.

I believe the current U.S. immigration system is broken and reform is necessary.
A few final thoughts from scripture that inspire my perspective on these issues of immigration in general and SB1070 in particular:

God was giving instructions to Moses on how to live:
Leviticus 19:33-34 (New International Version)
When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Jesus talking to his disciplies in parable:
Matthew 25:34-40 (New International Version)
34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'


Ephesians 2:8-10,19-22 (New International Version)
8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. . . 19Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, 20built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.


James 2:1-5 (New International Version)
1My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. 2Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. 3If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," 4have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
5Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

1 comment:

Greg Allen-Pickett said...

A couple more resources on a "Christian Perspective" on immigration and immigration reform:
http://www.wheaton.edu/CACE/HotTopics/Immigration.htm

Enjoy!