Thursday, March 19, 2009

A quick update from the Mule!

I arrived safely in Guatemala last night at 11:30pm. After getting my luggage (the three huge bags) I was briefly detained by Guatemalan customs as they asked me lots and lots and lots of questions about why I needed so many large bags for a short trip. I told them about the water filters and what they were for. There was much talking between the three customs agents, a lot more questions. . . I brought out my business cards and started talking about the work that Healing Waters International does in Guatemala, providing a source of safe drinking water to poor communities. More talking, more questions (more silent prayer on my part.)

Finally one of the customs agents (I think she was the lead or the supervisor) said, "He is working hard to help our country, we don't need to take away the filters or charge him any extra import taxes, customs or fees." It was either my jedi mind trick (you will let me take my filters to Guatemala, as I waved my hand in front of them). . . more than likely it was the kindness of the customs agents with a little divine intervention. (Yay God!)

I am leaving to visit 3 water systems installed by a different water organization, Living Waters for the World. They have a totally different operating model than Healing Waters . I will meet with a volunteer from Living Waters to learn about their work and operating model, along with our Director in Guatemala, Mario Avendano, and our Guatemalan field manager, Juan Colmenares. I will post more tonight.

3 comments:

Johnny and Maria Coker said...

You didn't mention your problems getting in when we saw you at Centennial Camp! They do seem to be cracking down on what is brought into the country nowadays. We enjoyed having you, Juan and Mario with us at the Camp and for lunch. Come back anytime!

Johnny and Maria

Nathan said...

Sounds like your having an interesting trip! I know you wouldn't have it any other way :)

Safe travels.

Cindy & Dean Pickett said...

Hey Greg - thanks for updating your Mom & Dad in this timely way on your safe (and typically adventurous) arrival! We're praying for great things for your service, your guests and the thirsty people you serve.

Mom & Dad Pickett