Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The ballad of Gregorio the Mule and some more World Water Day Info.

This is a photo of me getting ready to check in for my flight at Denver with 2 huge black duffel bags each holding an ultrafiltration water filter for Healing Waters, and my own duffel bag and backpack.


I am sitting in the Denver airport awaiting my flight to Guatemala. I will arrive there tonight and jump right into work tomorrow with my local field staff, visiting some water projects and preparing for the arrival of the group from Wellshire.

I am also transporting two new filters down to Guatemala with me, along with supplies for the Healing Waters International Guatemala office and supplies for the Wellshire group, so I feel like a mule.

Getting the water filters checked in and cleared through security was a challenge, as they are long cylindrical objects with a timer and wires connected to them. However things went very smoothly and huge props to Mexicana Airlines who allowed me to check an extra bag for free after I explained to them that the water filter was going to provide safe drinking water to a poor community in Latin America.

I am still a little worried about clearing customs in Guatemala with these filters. They are probably going to ask me what they are for and try to charge some import taxes, but we shall see. . . oh the life of a mule. :)

A few facts about the global safe drinking water crisis as we prepare for World Water Day on March 22nd:

More than 1.5 million children under the age of 5 die from water borne illnesses each year.†

Diarrhea is the second leading cause of morbidity and mortality among children.#

Five times more children die due to diarrheal diseases than HIV/AIDS.#

† Facts and figures: water, sanitation and hygiene links to health, World Health Organization, 2004
# Human Development Report, World Health Organization, 2005

We take for granted that the water that comes out of our tap is safe and clean. For most of the world, this is not true. Healing Waters International water is as clean as any bottled water you would buy here in the U.S..

Every $50 donated to HWI has provided water for life to another person. Simply by saving $1.67 each day, you can give this gift to one person in a month. Donate today by visiting our website at http://www.healingwatersintl.org We will send you a woven, Mayan Indian bracelet.*

No comments: