Monday, February 23, 2009

Working for a non-profit in an economic recession

Filling a 5 gallon jug of safe drinking water at one of Healing Waters systems in the community of "El Puerto" in the Dominican Republic.
Kids taking their bottle of water back to their family


I had some hope the economy would start to turn around or at least level out and stop dropping with a rise in confidence from the stimulus getting passed last week. No such luck.

My working theory on the economic recession is that it is a combination of 2 factors:

1. Legitimate economic problems/issues associated with banking, foreclosures, etc.
2. Lack of confidence in the economy

When people lack confidence, they turn inward and stop spending. Even I have started saving more and spending less in the past few months, so I guess I am part of the problem.

My hope was that with Obama's election and the subsequent stimulus/bailout package, that confidence would start to return. I had no illusions that it would be immediate, or that things would turn around by March, but I had hoped we would see some signs of hope.

Working for a non-profit, all of this is compounded. We have seen a major drop in donations. The need for safe drinking water in developing countries continues to grow, but our ability to meet that need and install new systems depends on getting donors to help pay for the installation costs. Needless to say, my job and salary are also donor dependent, so there are some real concerns there as well.

I read this article in the Denver Post and thought I would share it with you. There are some really good points in the article, so read and enjoy!
http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_11762219

No comments: