Monday, February 1, 2010

The prayer of the children

My senior year of high school back in 1995-1996, I made the all-state choir. I had to go through a series of multiple auditions to make the choir. Then they sent me the music and I practiced, practiced, practiced. We all met together on a Thursday and rehearsed for two days before performing a concert on Saturday. This was a great experience.

One of the songs that the men from the group sang at the concert was a song called "The Prayer of the Children." It literally brought the entire auditorium to tears.

I hadn't thought about this song in some time. As I was reflecting and praying about Haiti and the devastation there, this song popped back into my head. I did a YouTube search to see if it had been sung by any other groups, and sure enough it was all over the place.

I picked this group's arrangement because it was closest to what I sang in high school. Listen to the song and read through the lyrics as a prayer of and for the children in Haiti and around the world.



Can you hear the prayer of the children on bended knee,
In the shadow of an unknown room?
Empty eyes with no more tears to cry,
Turning heavenward toward the light.
Crying, Who will help me to see the morning light of one more day?
But if I should die before I wake,
I pray my soul to take?

Can you feel the hearts of the children
Aching for home, for something of their very own?
Reaching hands with nothing to hold on to,
But hope for a better day.
Crying, Who will help me to feel the love again in my own land?
But if unknown roads lead away from home,
Give me loving arms, away from harm.

Can you hear the voice of the children
Softly pleading for silence in their shattered world?
Angry guns preach a gospel full of hate,
Blood of the innocent on their hands.
Crying, Jesus, help me to feel the sun again upon my face.
For when darkness clears I know youre near,
Bringing peace again.

Dali cuje te sve djecje molitve?
Can you hear the prayer of the children?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.